Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Faith, Grace, and things of that sort...

As I read Romans chapters 13 and 14 this morning, it was business as usual. I pulled out my Bible... well to be completely honest, I pulled out my Iphone and clicked on my ESV Bible app (if anyone reading this happens to talk to Scott Kay let him know, Yes... there is an app for that). Anyway, I disgress. I began reading words I have read so many times before. They mean something to me but, as CJ would say, I was not freshly affected by them. That is until I came to the second part of the last verse in chapter 14 which says "For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." OUCH! This quickly brought to mind another scripture, Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."



Faith is not my strong suit. If I know what I will have to endure, I can endure it. I might even be able to endure it well. It is those indefinite situations that cause me to believe I have no favor in the sight of God and that the burden is too great to bare. And yes... I do know how ridiculous that sounds, but only when God gives me the grace to see it. Something you will see regularly posted here, and hear from my mouth is Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen"...


Everything written above I began writing yesterday, not knowing what new trials were around the corner. Never have these truths been so real to me than they are today. Yesterday afternoon began a new trial, with new temptations to a lack of faith. I feel broken and weary BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL! In trials I have a very hard time believing the latter part of Hebrews 11:6 "...for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him". My first response in my heart, is that the Lord must be punishing me for past sin, or that I have sought Him through very difficult situations, yet I see no reward. Then God is so gracious to show me how I am calling Him a liar. This is NOT the character of the God I serve! So I either have to be so deceived to say I believe nothing that I've known about Him, or humble enough to say I know little, but I do know the character of my God and circumstance will not change what I know to be true.

So today, I am clinging to the truth found in 1 Peter 5:6-11 :

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

So, if you happen to think about me, please pray for faith. Faith that God's plan is bigger, wiser, and better than mine.

2 comments:

Jennifer Griffin said...

My friend, know that I am praying for you and that I love you. Keep clinging to His word and His promises. He is faithful even when we are faithless. -Jennifer

ooohemily said...

i didn't know you had a blog. :)